Friday 25 July 2014

The Poem

Someone in my English- conversation class suggested that we all bring poetry and read it for our next session. I volunteer at an English- conversation circle with local Japanese people that want to practise their English. We have a 2 hour evening session every week.

I imagined that this could've been a difficult task due to the cultural differences and the varying levels of English comprehension in the class, but I wrote one anyway. Even if it is just for me to read. And maybe one day I'll share it with the person I was thinking of:


If forever has already begun
then you have already stolen the title
as the theme of my thoughts

I title your name on maps, books, pictures, labels, pariphanalea
You are branded in my smile now.

Let's make minituire models of you
We can raise them
Let's take it a step further and make them limited editions
that only we get to keep
We'll make them with our own bodies
We'll name them after YOU

Let's start a  start a closed corperation
A company of you, me and our beautiful babies

While the author of our lives transcrubes new chapters
We'll skip through pages, colouring them with our smiles and joy
Shining our light through captions
Whispering HIS prasies in every reading

Phela u "mina" akasekho enhliziyweni yami
Usulekile
Njalo mengithi mi... mi... mi...
akusavu-mi

Kumele ngi-thi THINA

No comments:

Post a Comment