Saturday 18 May 2013

Music that gets me through rough days

My relationship with music has been a whirlwind of falling in love, suffering for it, being ridiculed to a point of persecution for it, abandoning it, taking it back, nurture, neglect, using it and then now a space that I call rediscovering it. It's a difficult journey and an emotional one for me because this part of my life is very personal and if you haven't noticed, my passion for music is a bit obsessive.

Here in rediscovering the power of music to my being I have found certain songs that get me through rough days when I am depressed or stressed or feel like I'm going to lose my mind.

3.  Can't give up now- Mary Mary (Thankful)

When days are dark, what better way to remind me where my strenth is than this song? I know a lot of people who use  this song to reboot and gain strength. There's something about repeating the same phrase over and over when your senses have been numbed and dulled by exhaustion that seems to draw from your depths within certain memories and bring them to the surface to move you once again. That is what the chorus of this song does to me. It is the highlight and the prominent part of the song and for a good purpose. It's kind of like supplication. Repetitive for a reason, purging pain in the process.

2. Song for Turqois- Lexikon ( Sketches in the Mind)

I am so greatful to know Lexikon in my life. She has the ability to word my thoughts so beautifully because I often fail to express my innermost feelings. I've also learned an awful lot from her. This song is from her first album and is dedicated to her daughter but resonates with my being so much. Being away from home it grounds me and reminds me who I am always. It reminds me of my purpose. Reminds me of the invaluable knowledge that I have aquired back home from my parents and people who's match I am yet to find anywhere else. I don't envy other people. I now understand why so many people want a piece of Africa. I carry all those pieces inside me. Inside my head.

1. Nkwenkwezi- Simphiwe Dana (Kulture Noir)

As if a follow up, completing what Song for Turquis brings to my psyche, this song is like a guide giving me direction. It maps the way forward. It also envokes in me stong memories of my beloved Konke and other people that have passed in my life. It gives me hope. It is commemorative. I hope to sing it one day and I can only think of one cousin of mine right now who could match  it with  the emotion I need for it in a duet. In fact I love the whole Kulture Noir album because I think its such a spiritual one and Simphiwe Dana shares so much of herself in it. One of the other tracks on there that I listen to repeatedly is Mayine because I overstand it too. I can only hope to be such an excellent composer one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment